Faculty - [ Faculty Bios - Robert McMillen ]
- B.A., Rhodes College, 1991
- M.S., Mississippi State University, 1994
- Ph.D., University of Georgia, 1998
Awards and Distinctions
- 2006 Prevention of Cancer in Mississippi Award, Empowering Communities for a Healthy Mississippi Summit, The Mississippi Partnership for Comprehensive Cancer Control
- Smoke Free Champion, The Smoke Free Project, Children's National Medical Center, February 8, 2008
- Faculty Sponsor for Rose Gonzales, Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal Undergraduate Research Award, December, 2008
- 2009, Our People of "The People's University", Mississippi State University, 09.14.2009
- 2009/10, College of Arts and Sciences Researcher of the Month, December/January
- 2010, StatePride Award, Mississippi State University, September 2010
Refereed Publications & Book Reviews
- McMillen, R., Maduka, J., & Winickoff, J. P. (2012). Use of emerging tobacco products in the United States. Journal of Environmental and Public Health. doi:10.1155/2012/989474
- Winickoff, J., McMillen, R., Vallone, D., Pearson, J., Tanski, S., Dempsey, J., Healton, C., Klein, J., & Abrams, A. (2011). Attitudes about banning menthol in cigarettes: Results from a nationally representative survey. American Journal of Public Health. Published online May 12, 2011. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300146.
- Winickoff, J., Tanski, S., McMillen, R., Ross, K., Lipstein, E, Best, D., Hipple, B., Friebely, J., & Klein, J. (2011). Acceptability of Testing Children for Tobacco Smoke Exposure: A National Parent Survey. Pediatrics, 127, 628-634.
- Winickoff JP, Friebely J, Tanski SE, Sherrod C, Matt GE, Hovel MF, McMillen RC. (2009). Beliefs about the health effects of "thirdhand" smoke and home smoking bans. Pediatrics, 123, e74-e79.
- Wellman, R., McMillen, R., & DiFranza, J. (2008). Assessing College Students' Autonomy over Smoking with the Hooked on Nicotine Checklist. The Journal of American College Health, 56, 5, 549-553.
- Hitt, H., McMillen, R., Thornton-Neaves, T., Koch, K., and Cosby, A. (2007). Comorbidity of Obesity and Pain in a General Population: Results from the Southern Pain Prevalence Study. The Journal of Pain, 8, 430-436.
- McMillen, R., Gill, D., & Valentine, N. (2007). The leading health indicators of Mississippi: A report from the 2004 Mississippi Health Assessment. Journal of the Mississippi Medical Association, 47, 354-359.
- Winickoff, J., Tanski, S., McMillen, R., Hipple, B., Friebely, J, Healey, E. (2006). A National Survey of the Acceptability of Quitlines to Help Parents Quit Smoking. Pediatrics 117, e695-e700. Retrieved April 11, 2006, from http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/117/4/e695
- Cosby, A., Hitt, H., Thornton-Neaves, T., McMillen, R., Koch, K., Sitzman, T., Person, E., & Parvin, S. (2005). Profiles of Pain in Mississippi: Results from the Southern Pain Prevalence Study. Journal of the Mississippi Medical Association, 46, 301-309.
- Kavanaugh, M., McMillen, R., Pascoe, J., Southward, L., Winickoff, J., and Weitzman, M. (2005). The Co-Occurrence of Maternal Depressive Symptoms and Smoking in a National Survey of Mothers. Ambulatory Pediatrics, 5, 341-348.
- Winickoff, J., Tanski, S., McMillen, R. C., Klein, J., Rigotti, N., & Weitzman, M. (2005). Child health care clinician's use of medications to help parents quit smoking: A national patient survey. Pediatrics, 115, 1013- 1017.
- McMillen, R. C., Breen, J., & Cosby, A. G. (2004). Rural urban differences in the social climate surrounding environmental tobacco smoke: A report from the 2001 Social Climate Survey of Tobacco Control. Journal of Rural Health, 20, 7-16.
- McMillen, R.C. (2004). Review of the book Learning to smoke: Tobacco use in the west. Journal of the American Medical Association, 291, 114.
- Winickoff, J. P., McMillen, R.C., Browen, C. C., Klein, J. D., Rigotti, N. A., Tanski, S. E., & Weitzman, M. (2003). Addressing parental smoking in pediatrics and family practice: A national survey of parents. Pediatrics, 112, 1146-1151.
- McMillen, R. C., Winickoff, J. P., Klein, J. D., & Weitzman, M. (2003). U.S. adult attitudes and practices regarding smoking restrictions and child exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS): Changes in the social climate from 2000 to 2001. Pediatrics, 112, e55-e60. Retrieved July 8, 2003, from http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/112/1/e55
- McMillen, R. C., Dawson, L., Jones, E., & Gill, D. (2003). A community health assessment of the North Mississippi Health Services Catchment Area. Journal of the Mississippi Medical Association, 44, 135-140.
- McMillen, R. & Henley, T. (2001). Connectionism isn't just for Cognitive Science: Neural Networks as Methodological Tools. Psychological Record, 51, 3-18.
- Tesser, A., McMillen, R., & Collins, J. (1997). Chaos: On making a convincing case for social psychology. Psychological Inquiry, 8, 137-143.
- Wells-Parker, E., Banghert-Drowns, R., McMillen, R., & Williams, M. (1995). Final results from a metaanalysis of remedial interventions with drink/drive offenders. Addiction, 90, 907-926.
- Wetzel, C., Hettinger, E., McMillen, R., Nix, A., & Rayburn, M. (1993). Methodological issues in the study of the Browning prediction of a New Madrid earthquake: A researcher's cautionary tale. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, 11, 437-452.